National Don’t Move Firewood Program
What is the National Don't Move Firewood Program?
- The National program was developed to provide the public with needed information to know where and when to not move firewood.
- The National program provides a central hub of information and access to existing initiatives across Canada and the United States.
All Canadians need to understand the negative consequence and regulations around the movement of firewood and follow some simple rules. Buy It Where You Burn It.
Why Have a National Don't Move Firewood Program?
- Prevention is the most cost-effective method for managing the negative impacts of non-native organisms.
- Canada has 347 Million ha of forest cover; that is almost 9% of the world's forests!
- Trees in our forests and urban landscapes are dead and dying from invasive alien pests.
- We don't know what the next alien invasive insect or disease will be.
Goals of the National Don't Move Firewood Program
- Raise public awareness nationally on the issue of moving firewood.
- Reduce movement of firewood commercially and by the public.
- Provide educational resources to provincial and territorial groups.