Supporting invasive species & climate change efforts – join the NISCC Team now!
As the climate and biodiversity crises heighten, communicating the linkages between invasive species and climate change among researchers, policy makers, and invasive species managers is essential.
The Canadian Council on Invasive Species (CCIS) is growing a National Invasive Species and Climate Change (NISCC) Network. The NISCC Network will work to reduce the joint effects of climate change and invasive species by synthesizing relevant science, sharing the needs and knowledge of managers, building stronger scientist-manager-policy maker communities, and conducting priority research. In collaboration with the RISCC Network in the U.S., invasive species organizations, Indigenous partners, and government partners, CCIS is taking steps to develop tools to support climate change and invasive species adaptation, prevention and management efforts in Canada.
CCIS is looking for passionate individuals from the areas listed below, to join the Network’s Leadership Group. The Leadership Group will function as the main focal point of the NISCC Network and will complete tasks and make decisions to meet the Network’s objectives.
The Leadership Group members will:
- Bring strong leadership skills to the group.
- Help facilitate connections to those who can influence decision making around invasive species and climate change action in Canada.
- Reflect the broad geographical diversity of Canada and include members from multiple jurisdictions and sectors.
- Meet regularly (ex. once per month or more frequently as needed).
- Create and fulfill annual work plans to meet the Network’s objectives.
- Define goals and measurements to track success.
- Foster engagement to help grow and build the success of the Network.
Represent one of these areas:
- Federal Government
- Provincial/Territorial Government
- First Nations, Inuit, Métis
If you are interested, please send the following details to Kellie (email@example.com) no later than March 17th:
- Occupation (please include which area listed above you represent; include any other information that may apply)
- Organization you will be representing.
- Area of expertise
- Location (province/territory and city)
- Brief bio (3-5 sentences)
- The first meeting of the Leadership Group will be held either March 23rd or 29th, from 11-12:30 EST – please indicate which date you prefer.